Saturday, July 12, 2008

Eventide Prerelease - Day 1 Report



Here is a quick review of Eventide Prerelease Day 1!

The summary is that I went 2-2 and got only 2 packs. :( But the format felt more exciting and definitely threw up their share of surprises.

I went Black-White deck by virtue of the strengths of my removals - 2 Soul Reaps, 1 Gloomlance, 1 Corrupt, 1 Recumbent Bliss, 1 Torment.


  I had just one bomb - Doomgape (which proved to be quite a dud later)... 

Game 1: 

Basically my opponent played a pretty degenerate BRW weenie enchantment deck. It proved to be pretty strong because of this card - Scourge of the Nobilis. 

Its pretty sick when placed on any red-white creature. Just one hit by a pumped creature would useful throw the game beyond reach due to the life gain. My removals just refused to appear. Especially my psuedo removal tempo card.... Flickerwisp... 

Even though Doomgape appeared 2 times, it was never enough to swing through to deal enough damage.

Lost 1-0

Game 2: 

Here, my deck fired on all cylinders. My true stars showed up in a pretty quick 2-0 win.

 

Quillspike and Beillergent Hatchling proved to be a very sick combination which my opponent had no way to handle. 


I noticed later that whenever my Flickerwisps appeared (I had 2 in my deck), I win. The disruption to their tempo proved lethal.

 I was at 1-1 now. 

Game 3: 

My opponent was playing a blue-red retrace deck. Retrace is definitely very powerful in this format. Check out this card staring from my opponents graveyard -  

I managed to draw my removals. But it just wasn't enough to keep up with that card in the graveyard. Also, my Flickerwisps just refused to show up. It proved heartbreaking because I was so close to killing him in game 3 when he topdecked a last card to kill me. 

Sianz...Down 1-2.

 Game 4: 

Flickerwisps!!! Quillspike!!! yeah! The last game was a walkover as my all stars just showed up. Doomgape also made a appearance but he is pretty unnecessary...

 2-2... 

So what are my thoughts? I think Quillspike plus any of the Hatchlings is very powerful. Flickerwisp is definitely a all-star. Soul Reaps proved to be more useable than I thought...seems that there isnt that many green creatures anyway...

wish me luck for my game tomorrow!

 


No comments: